With the acquisition of Lucasfilm by Disney comes the end of era and the beginning of a new one.  Many projects that were in development have been shelved or canceled such as: “Star Wars: Detours,” and LucasArts “Star Wars: 1313″ video game. Weeks ago, a sorrowful announcement was made that the animated “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” was coming to an end.

With the bad news of projects being canceled and layoffs going into effect, there is a ray of sunshine. Disney is taking the licensing in a new direction.  Not only are they ramping up and committing to three more Star Wars features, but Lucasfilm has teased that a new Star Wars animated series is in the works.

Rebel Force

RebelForceRadio.com had a chance to interview “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” supervising director, Dave Filoni, who revealed that he will be staying on at Lucasfilm Animation to help develop the next Star Wars animated series. During the interview, Filoni was asked if he’ll continue with animating the events and characters in the Star Wars universe, and he responded by saying,

“Well, that’s my plan!”

Filoni also states,

“(Star Wars is) obviously important to me and I’ve had a very great time working here. I’ve really helped build the animation division from when I got here and there were only a handful of people.”

Regarding recent events, he remarked,

“It’s a function of our industry… It’s not my favorite part. You can luckily grow things and bring on many talented people, but there become times when you have to shrink things as well. We happen to be in one of those times right now, but that just paves the way, hopefully, for new things and new creativity in the future.”

Filoni went on to explain,

“At this point, I am involved in some early production discussions and exploration of what we’ll be doing with Star Wars animation in the future, which is really exciting for me and I have some friendly faces around me, of course, that are helping me on the project. So it’s a transition time, as I’ve said before, and I think it will lead to an exciting time and hopefully I’ll see things grow again.”

Filoni couldn’t say much more about it, including what the show will focus on or when we’d see it, but if his track record is any indication, then it should be one exciting and fun filled series.

Sources: IGN, RebelForceRadio

The Sun is reporting that Matt Smith, the current actor playing The Doctor, may regenerate into his twelfth incarnation this Christmas. Apparently bosses already have someone in mind to replace him.

According to their sources, Matt Smith, currently playing the title role on Doctor Who, may exit the show in this year’s Christmas special. Also, the bosses might have someone already in mind to replace the actor. Matt’s contract apparently expires in November, but they say he won’t renew it. Last week, during an interview with Jonathan Ross, Smith didn’t commit to anything beyond Christmas, stating that “I am very happy doing it. I do the anniversary special, then the Christmas special. At the moment it’s 2013 and we will see what 2014 holds.” According to the Sun the actor told his bosses that he wants to leave at Christmas. 


BBC stated last night the following: “Sorry folks but even we don’t know what’s going to happen at Christmas. It’s not been written yet! But Matt loves the show and is to start filming the unmissable 50th anniversary, and the new series starting on Easter Saturday.”

As of right now, take this with a grain of salt, as BBC or anyone related with the show’s production has to either confirm or deny this. If this is indeed supposed to happen, who do you think should be the twelfth Doctor? Sound off your ideas in the comment section below!